Chicken Kabobs with Leeks (Yakitori)
Tip: Using pre-seasoned chicken will prevent your chicken burning and drying out. What you'll need:
- 1 pound of boneless, skinless chicken thighs chopped into small skewer size pieces.
- 12 bamboo skewers
- 4 baby leeks cut into 1 inch lengths
- 3 tbsps of Mirin
- 2 tbsps of soy sauce
- 2 heaping tbsps of sugar
- Place the chicken on a plate and place in a steamer until almost cooked.
- While the chicken steams, soak the bamboo skewers in water to prevent them from burning.
- Skewer the chicken and leek pieces (begin and end your skewer with chicken).
- Mix the basting ingredients in a tall cup (tall enough to dip the entire skewer into).
- Preheat your oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Dip your skewers into the basting mixture prior to putting them into the oven.
- Cook skewers for roughly 5 minutes - remove from oven - baste again - back in the oven for 3 more minutes.
- Remove from oven and baste one last time. Sprinkle them with some shichimi togarashi to taste, and serve!
Tip: Wrap the ends of the skewers in aluminum foil to prevent them from burning.
Yakitori is a great companion for sake.
This recipe serves 4